What does the general public get wrong about farmers?

Share what you wish they knew about farming

I’d say they think all farmers are rich…They can’t grasp that farmers usually have everything tied up in the land and equipment

2 Likes

I think they have no idea of what sacrifices farmers have to make if they are gonna make it in the business. 7 days a week no vacations, no health insurance , big companies controlling your prices and the government screwing you every chance they get.

2 Likes

I agree with both of the above statements. In addition, I would add the fair and humane treatment of their animals (referring to family farms). I get tired of hearing about PETA and such groups targeting all farmers, not just corporate farms. Glad to see that lately they have been getting put in their place. I’m sure there are a few exceptions, but all of the small farmers I know do a good job of taking care of their livestock.

2 Likes

Some gems from from Facebook friends;

they have no idea the sacrifices you have to make to be in this business, 7 days a week, no health care or vacation benefits and at the mercy of the weather and big companies trying to control your prices and a government the screws you every chance they get .

The list of what they get right is a lot shorter.

1.) A false perception is that farmers just go to town and have coffee with their buddies and get their cheques from post office. 2.) Fridays are for doing the fence & crop checks and stop in town for a beer on the way home. 3.) Grain farmers especially, have little control over what the sell their crop or livestock for because the stock markets dictate what their price will be on any particular day.

1 Like

That farmers are a great source of knowledge.

My first job was on a farm, and it was something that shaped me. I learned really fast that there are no vacations, the work is hard and honest, the team is a family, and everyone is needed.

I could have just about any kind of conversation/opinion and Clark, the owner, would challenge my thoughts because he had a different and simpler understanding of the way the world works.

-Jen

1 Like

Yup----we are all dripping with money----I have tried to explain it this way to my friends----each time you see me pull into a lot, what equipment do I have and the values of each–and the trouble is us small guys need almost every machine the bigger guys have and we still get to use it for a short time and stare at it the rest-----I wouldn’t trade my farming adventures for a walk on the moon and I realize it’s more than difficult for the spectators.
thanks

1 Like

Think I’ll try #'s 1 and 2 :smiley:

1 Like