Tractor HP to planter size?

What’s the least amount of tractor HP needed to operate a 16 row flex fold planter?

I have a CaseIH 1200 pivot tongue 16 row, and first pulled it with an 8930 Magnum, then traded for an MX220, that turned up to 225 PTO HP the nest year. Get along great in most places. Did find in REALLY hilly conditions that this probably the minimum.

1 Like

I should also mention that I am carrying two 300 gallon tanks for fertilizer on the planter.

1 Like

Awesome, that’s some really good info. Some of friends run 295 HP and I was thinking it might be over kill so I was shooting at getting a 250HP tractor. For my 16 row planter. While I still got your attention I’ve got one more question, what’s my minimum tractor HP needed to pull a 33’ vertical tillage and a 44’ chisel plow? Thanks

1 Like

If i could ask you one more question, what’s my minimum tractor HP needed to pull a 33’ vertical tillage and a 44’ chisel plow? Thanks

I’m not sure on the chisel plow, never had one that big, but as far as vertical till, I pulled a 25’ Salford with the 8930 set at 200 PTO HP, and worked fine. However, if I tried to go above 8 MPH, just pulled the living snot out of it. At 7-8 MPH worked great and did a good job.

1 Like

Thanks for the insight. I really like the “pull the living snot out of it” analogy. That I can relate too. You’ve been a great help and I appreciate your knowledge on HP and implements.

1 Like

Not an expert by any means, but just real life useage.

1 Like

yeah you are very right

Not an expert by any means, but just real life usage.