Best Vertical tillage tool

What is everyone’s opinion on the different brands of vertical tillage tools? We are looking at summers and Mcfarlane. We are all no till but with this years wet spring a vertical tillage tool to open up the top inch or two to help dry our would have been a god send we also added a livestock enterprise and the pen packed manure is giving us issues would be nice to break it up and mix it in

Thanks!

2 Likes

there isn’t any, VT tools were designed for farmers with too much money to go to buy for a right off during the Obama era

1 Like

I’ve used a Salford some. I No-Till as well. If it is primarily for emergencies, keep it cheap or go in with a neighbor so you don’t feel obligated to use it just because you bought it! Salford has individual coulters, rather than a gang like Summers, but they are pretty aggressive with their deep ripples. The one thing I would say is you don’t need rolling baskets for what you want to do, so try to get one without them, take them off, or pin them up.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I agree with you in most cases it would not be needed. This year yes. Also on ground where I have manured, it is open packed steer manure, and the spreader just does not break it up enough. I am thinking of making my own out of a disk . Put the gangs straight and put on rippled blades, maybe a drag to help level.

2 Likes

I use a McFarlane, it did a nice job smoothing out a disked field that was was overgrown pasture land. It leaves too deep of a center cut that is hard to fill. It could be my settings. Other then those new fields, I barely have used it except when I have to clean up after a rushed fertilizer spreader truck driver.

1 Like