Remembering New Mexico Farmer Who Saved 1937 John Deere A

Always fun to visit New Mexico.

I recall one particular visit 2 years ago, near Clovis, NM, when we filmed a fun “Tractor Tales” segment for our Machinery Pete TV show and U.S. Farm Report TV show in Grier, NM with Jimmy Eshleman and his beautiful 1937 John Deere A tractor.

Machinery Pete with Jimmy and Jana Eshleman of Grier, NM

Remembering that day today as just heard that Jimmy Eshleman passed away unexpectedly on April 28, 2020. Jimmy was only 57 years old. Our condolences go out to the Eshleman family.

Jimmy’s 1937 John Deere A did not always look so beautifully parade ready, see pair of pics below. Jimmy told the story well in our “Tractor Tales” TV show segment. Here’s the video clip:

Jimmy’s daughter and son shared some insight into her father’s approach to farming:

He was pretty John Deere to the core. He never had to have the nicest equipment to produce a great crop. I think that says a lot about a farmer. I think the best thing to describe what he did day in and day out in the fields is…He lived what he loved, and he loved what he lived. He wasn’t your average farmer, he never stopped learning. He actually just started doing the no- till process of farming, which is being able to grow crops without disturbing the soil through tillage. He knew our farm land was becoming more and more farmed out and this process would allow the ground to get back to the way God intended it, full of nutrients. He did this all with his grandchildren in mind, so that they would have a future.

Daughter Janea said that Jimmy received the Land Steward of the Year award for Curry County, New Mexico thanks to the results he was seeing on the farm after going no till.

We lost a great farmer and lover of antique John Deere tractors much too soon.

Rest in peace Jimmy.

Pete
Machinery Pete
www.MachineryPete.com

1 Like