Growing Interest in Vintage Combines

An interesting note I got the other day from David B. in Missouri:

Hey Pete, picked up this cherry 1975 JD 3300 with 1780 hours and a 13’ rigid platform this summer for $2300. Had to give $2000 for 343 corn head. Seems like getting little old combines up and going is a growing trend. What are you seeing?

Pics of David’s new old combine and heads in action.

JD3300-JD343-DavidBorrowman-FB-MO-boughtthissummer

JD3300-DavidBorrowman-FB-MO-2

To answer David’s question…Yes, I have been seeing increasing general interest in folks acquiring and running older combines. I’d say been noticing this uptick in interest for couple years now. The trend does seem to be growing. Definitely not what I’d call an avalanche of buyer interest, but noticeable for sure.

Perhaps folks like David B. from Missouri are simply on the leading edge of the curve, leading the way on a new trend? All trends have to start somewhere, sometime.

As for the WHY…couple factors at work I think:

1. Doesn’t cost too much $$ to dip your toe into this trend. In David’s case $4,300 for a cherry condition 45 year old combine and pair of heads

2. Something deeper at work here my gut telling me. Everything moving so fast these days. Combines and all machines getting bigger, bigger, biggest. More computerized. Data flowing in every direction from our giant machines with flat screens in the cab. All good, data from precision ag helping you make more informed decisions to help maximize yields during these profit challenged days. Our culture over past 10+ years now has increasingly pointed our heads down, into our cell phones, magical devices that keep us all connected ALL the time. 24/7 is no longer just a saying. Life it seems has no OFF switch. I think slowly we are collectively beginning to realize…we need to somehow unplug once in a while. An OFF switch a needed thing perhaps

Hopping into the cab of a late 1960’s - mid 1970’s combine and hitting the field to harvest as your dad, uncle, or grandpa did I’m guessing is one unique OFF switch that can plainly connect you to a simpler time. Perhaps also even make you more appreciate of all the modern advancements in your main combine(s) running on your farm.

Back to our friend David B. from Missouri and his “new” 1975 JD 3300 combine.

She’s been rolling about 300 bushel per hour in dry corn and running well, but, as my dad said when I bought it…"Your one rock away from a piece of scrap!” Fingers crossed.

:slight_smile:

Here’s link to view 200+ auction sale prices the past 5 years on 1960’s - 1970’s Combines: https://tinyurl.com/y2ave285

Here’s link to (42) 1960’s - 1970’s Combines for sale today: https://tinyurl.com/y5gu7zgc

Pete
Machinery Pete